Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Moon Garden vegetarian

My wife and I were wrecking our brains one Saturday evening figuring what to have for dinner. We were not particularly hungry and finally decided to head to a vegetarian cafe for some not-so-heavy vege food.




The place we went to was Moon Garden Vegetarian Cafe & Bakery in Subang Jaya Taipan. It is along a row of shops on Jalan USJ 10/1A. As the name implies, this place is more than just a cafe. It also sells various vegetarian cakes, cookies, pastries, desserts, etc.




A section of the shop is provided for dine-in customers. It is tastefully decorated and provides quite a pleasant dining atmosphere.




We browsed the menu. In spite of being vegetarian, it was surprisingly comprehensive. It offered a good variety of choices - Japanese, rice, noodles, Western, salads, pasta, pizzas and even dim sum. Click to enlarge the menu for a better view.




We had the combo sushi plate. It was the first time I ever had vegetarian sushi. It was surprising good. Quite authentic even without any meat. The taste of the sushi rolls was augmented with some vegetarian floss. I enjoyed the sushi.




But I cannot say the same for the Formosa Style Noodle Soup. The soup was a confusing blend of beans, vegetables and I-don't-know-what. In it were pieces of pseudo meat and ham. It did not taste good.




The baked Cheesy Rice Casserole was good. It was served in a disposal metal foil container. I particularly liked the melted cheese over the rice.




I ordered the dim sum totally out of curiosity. I wanted to see how they make siew mai (烧卖) without meat. And it turned out absolutely disastrous. It did not quite looked like siew mai, let alone taste like one. This wannabe totally did not make the grade.


 
Dessert was a milk pudding with some strawberry syrup. It was good. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

After dinner, my wife brought some cookies and some vegetarian sambal. They were pretty expensive. As we were paying at the counter, I asked the cashier about the cafe. It turned out that they belong to a small chain of Moon Gardens. Apparently they have other outlets in USJ 1,  Sri Hartamas and Melaka. Check out their website here


I had mixed feeling about Moon Garden. I was not sure if I liked or disliked the place. Would I return? Perhaps. There are a lot more in the menu to try. Some wannabes may turn out good.

No comments:

Post a Comment