Saturday, February 06, 2010

Village Park

Village Park is easily the most popular Malay restaurant in PJ, perhaps even the Klang valley. And rightly so, because it is really a very good place to eat in. It serves very authentic Malay food.


The restaurant is located on Jalan SS21/37 in Uptown, Damansara Utama. It is quite multi-racial. I believe it is Malay-Chinese owned and their customers are also a good mix. It started in a single shop lot. Not very long ago, an adjacent shop was added on. On weekends, the restaurant spills to the road with canopies for shelter.


You will find a good selection of makan makan in the restaurant. A counter at the front offers a variety of Malay food that look very delicious. You can pick your choice from here but it is not self-served. Or you can pick your meal from a comprehensive menu that includes a limited Chinese selection. I would strongly suggest you go for the Malay food.


Perhaps their best selling is their fried chicken. They only do chicken thighs and drumsticks. They are deliciously done with crispy skin and succulent meat. I do not know how much chicken they sell each day but I see piles of them and the place where they chop is littered with their crispy crumbs.


My last visit to the place was with my 2 nephews. They wanted to go there before they returned to Australia. One of them had the nasi dagang. The rice looked very good. It was served with a generous portion of curry tuna and some pickled salad.


The other nephew and I both opted for the mee rebus. I can say this place serves one of the best mee rebus. The gravy is so very good. We ordered 2 pieces of the fried chicken. The combination of the mee and the chicken was a totally satisfying meal.


The nasi lemak here is also very good, especially taken with the fried chicken. Unfortunately none of us ordered it that day. I wanted a picture for this blog. I saw it served to a Malay lady at the next table. I asked her if I could get a picture of her meal. She was most gracious. This is what she had for her lunch. (Apologies for poor quality of the shot.)


Finally, I have to mention their white coffee. Outside Ipoh, I like their white coffee most. We had it with ice. It had the oomph. It wasn't too sweet and it supplemented our meal very nicely.


The food in Village Park is good and delicious. However the place is always crowded and can be rather noisy.  At times it is difficult to get a table especially during weekends and lunch peaks. And parking is a major problem. It is never easy to park at Uptown, Damansara Utama. But do not let that put you off. If you have not been to Village Park, it is a must-try.

No comments:

Post a Comment